Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster. These are known as Big T traumas and are known by that general term. Little T traumas may take the form of bullying, criticism, poverty, racism, sensory issues or developmental disabilities or any number of constant pressure and stressors. Like the Colorado River which starts small and eventually carves out the Grand Canyon, these little t traumas can have a huge impact.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or posttraumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist are fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has shown psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. But Trauma therapy needs to include getting back in touch with what is going on in our bodies. The gut and body are intimately intertwined in recognizing danger and processing trauma. It is not an easy journey, but it is the most valuable path you will ever walk.
If you or someone you know matches the trauma symptoms listed above, we would be honored to help and invite you to contact us today for a free consultation.